Do Old and Antique Newspapers Have Any Collectible Value?

October 25, 2013 by
Email This Post Email This Post | Print This Post Print This Post

It is not often I travel to Yahoo for answers to some of the more meaningful questions of life: Where did we come from? What is the purpose of Life? Do old newspapers have value? However, I recently came upon a post on Yahoo Voices which did a decent job of handling this last question.  It begins:

You’ve Happened Upon a Stack of Old Newspapers…Some Have Historic Headlines! Are They Worth Anything?

Let face it, old newspapers don’t get much respect. In today’s world, they’re generally seen as material for the recycler. And years ago, many libraries simply tossed them out after converting them to micro or digital files. But do old or antique newspapers have any collectible value? The answer is a definite…maybe!

Newspapers have been around almost as long as the Gutenberg Press. And in general they’ve been seen as expendable–meant to be read a time or two and then thrown away, or used for fish wrap or some other convenient purpose. But newspapers also have tremendous historic value… (read more)

(Unfortunately, the Yahoo article has since expired. If anyone has discovered great articles regarding the value of newspapers, please let us know and we’ll consider adding it. In the meantime, feel free to use the www.RareNewspapers.com website for comparables.)

If you liked this post, you may also enjoy...

Comments

688 Responses to “Do Old and Antique Newspapers Have Any Collectible Value?”

1. Sheila and dale oakes on September 19th, 2017 10:40 am

We have newspapers ranging from 1934 to 1964 what is the value and where do we go

2. GuyHeilenman on September 22nd, 2017 8:41 am

Hello Sheila and Dale – Sorry, but we do not monitor such questions from here. Please send us information regarding what you have to us at info@rarenewspapers.com. Thanks for your understanding.

3. GuyHeilenman on September 22nd, 2017 8:44 am

Hello Tim – Sorry, but we do not monitor such questions from here. Please send us information regarding what you have to us at info@rarenewspapers.com. Thanks for your understanding.

4. GuyHeilenman on September 22nd, 2017 8:45 am

Hello Rashelle – Sorry, but we do not monitor such questions from here. Please send us information regarding what you have to us at info@rarenewspapers.com. Thanks for your understanding.

5. GuyHeilenman on September 22nd, 2017 8:52 am

Hello Josephine – Sorry, but we do not monitor such questions from here. Please send us information regarding what you have to us at info@rarenewspapers.com. Thanks for your understanding.

6. GuyHeilenman on September 22nd, 2017 8:52 am

Hello Jennifer – Sorry, but we do not monitor such questions from here. Please send us information regarding what you have to us at info@rarenewspapers.com. Thanks for your understanding.

7. Tiffany Rader on September 25th, 2017 9:55 am

How much would we get from 1985 papers from barbour county west virgina when we had a really bad flood. They are still in plastic

8. GuyHeilenman on September 26th, 2017 8:18 am

Hello Tiffany – Sorry, but we do not monitor such questions from here. Please send us information regarding what you have to us at info@rarenewspapers.com. Thanks for your understanding.

9. Don Minor on October 1st, 2017 6:50 pm

I have a copy of The Inter Ocean Illustrated Supplement from 1893. A compendium of colored illustrations and articles during the World’s Fair. It’s in rather poor brittle condition but still in tack.

Does it have any value?

Thanks,

Don Minor

10. GuyHeilenman on October 2nd, 2017 10:27 am

Hello Don: Sorry, but we do not monitor such questions from here. Please send us information regarding what you have to us at info@rarenewspapers.com. Thanks for your understanding.

11. Paul R Hellmann on October 16th, 2017 7:48 pm

I have newspapers from 1934 in good shape. Also with pictures of the 1934 Phillies.

12. Michael Tyndall on October 23rd, 2017 3:46 pm

I’m trying to find out if the 1928 News article of the World series Champions New York Yankees have any value and if so who do I contact. Thanks

13. Joedidion on October 25th, 2017 6:14 pm

Hi my name is Joe I got a few with newspaper clippings John John F Kennedy’s assassination and the Armstrong the man on the moon the road are they worth anything

14. GuyHeilenman on October 26th, 2017 7:42 am

Hello Joe – If they are clippings, they have no collector value. Sorry.

15. GuyHeilenman on October 26th, 2017 7:47 am

Hello Michael: Sorry, but we do not monitor such questions from here. Please send us information regarding what you have to us at info@rarenewspapers.com. Thanks for your understanding.

16. GuyHeilenman on October 26th, 2017 7:49 am

Hello Paul: Sorry, but we do not monitor such questions from here. Please send us information regarding what you have to us at info@rarenewspapers.com. Thanks for your understanding.

17. Wyatt on October 31st, 2017 6:49 pm

I have full news paper of the moon landing jfk assassination and Nixon where can I send pics to get a price of value?

18. GuyHeilenman on November 2nd, 2017 10:45 am

Hello Wyatt: Sorry, but we do not monitor such questions from here. Please send us information regarding what you have to us at info@rarenewspapers.com. Thanks for your understanding.

19. Debra on November 13th, 2017 6:08 pm

Have paper with Christie being put in prison 10 rillington place norman raw was the greatest crime reporter Fleet Street legend my paper is news of the world

20. GuyHeilenman on November 15th, 2017 8:07 am

Hello Debra: Sorry, but we do not monitor such questions from here. Please send us information regarding what you have to us at info@rarenewspapers.com. Thanks for your understanding.

21. Mel on December 2nd, 2017 6:36 am

How much would an original copy of the day after the titanic sank 8 pages?

22. Jim on December 4th, 2017 11:35 am

I have the full paper from jfk assasnation from ny Newsday is there any value

23. Roger on December 30th, 2017 4:37 am

HI, I have a newspaper the Times dated Nov7th 1805 with the report of Nelsons death in it.
    I did have it on E bay but someone informed me it could be a centenary edition 100 years later so I am not sure . in the past someone has put a few bits of cellotape on it to hold it together. Very roughly what value would this have .
    Many thanks. Roger
    PS This paper has been in my family for a few generations.

24. GuyHeilenman on January 4th, 2018 2:04 pm

Hello Roger, If it is a reprint, it has no value. Without knowing, I would not feel comfortable putting a value on it. Feel free to send me a few pics and a description to me at guy@rarenewspapers.com.

25. GuyHeilenman on January 4th, 2018 2:13 pm

Hello Jim – Sorry, but we do not monitor such questions from here. Please send us information regarding what you have to us at info@rarenewspapers.com. Thanks for your understanding.

26. GuyHeilenman on January 4th, 2018 2:14 pm

Hello Mel – Sorry, but we do not monitor such questions from here. Please send us information regarding what you have to us at info@rarenewspapers.com. Thanks for your understanding.

27. GUYEDWARD SILVA on January 23rd, 2018 2:53 am

HI THERE MY FRIEND, IVE GOT A JULY 29 1931 NEW YORK TIMES NEWS PAPER WITH CERTIFICATE OF AUTHENTICATION FROM HISTORIC NEWSPAPER ARCHIVES. IS THERE ANY VALUE TO IT.

28. GuyHeilenman on January 23rd, 2018 1:01 pm

Hello Guyedward – Sorry, but we do not monitor such questions from here. Please send us information regarding what you have to us at info@rarenewspapers.com. Thanks for your understanding.

29. John Lamana on January 27th, 2018 12:48 pm

I have 4 old newspapers dated 1930 and 1931 Chicago News are thease worth any money

30. John on January 27th, 2018 12:50 pm

31. Denise Scalera on February 15th, 2018 11:27 am

How much could I get from a news paper that came out the day Hitler died?

32. Andrea on March 10th, 2018 7:04 am

I landed my self a newspaper “magazine style” from the Pittsburgh st. Patrick’s Day flood in 1936 and it has 100 of the best photos that were chosen out of thousands published in it. It belonged to my great-grandmother who lived most of her life and Aliquippa Pennsylvania and who would have known that decades later I would find myself living in Pennsylvania also with this amazing piece of History. I think I’m going to start looking into it just to see how many there might be out there and if I have something rare. Either way it would be really cool too pass it down to my own children

33. jason anthony koprowski on March 15th, 2018 11:10 am

I have a newspaper from when Japanese bomb pearl harbour what would that be worth in in plastic right now

34. GuyHeilenman on March 28th, 2018 8:04 am

Hello Jason – Sorry, but we do not monitor such questions from here. Please send us information regarding what you have to us at info@rarenewspapers.com. Thanks for your understanding.

35. GuyHeilenman on March 28th, 2018 8:15 am

Hello John – Sorry, but we do not monitor such questions from here. Please send us information regarding what you have to us at info@rarenewspapers.com. Thanks for your understanding.

36. GuyHeilenman on March 28th, 2018 8:15 am

Hello John – In case I missed sending a response…Sorry, but we do not monitor such questions from here. Please send us information regarding what you have to us at info@rarenewspapers.com. Thanks for your understanding.

37. GuyHeilenman on March 28th, 2018 8:16 am

Hello Denise – Sorry, but we do not monitor such questions from here. Please send us information regarding what you have to us at info@rarenewspapers.com. Thanks for your understanding.

38. GuyHeilenman on March 28th, 2018 8:18 am

Hello Andrea, If this “magazine style” set includes the original newspapers from 1936, please send details to us at info@rarenewspapers.com, otherwise, we would not have knowledge as to its value.

Feel free to leave a comment...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!