Do Old and Antique Newspapers Have Any Collectible Value?

October 25, 2013 by
Email This Post Email This Post | Print This Post Print This Post

It is not often I travel to Yahoo for answers to some of the more meaningful questions of life: Where did we come from? What is the purpose of Life? Do old newspapers have value? However, I recently came upon a post on Yahoo Voices which did a decent job of handling this last question.  It begins:

You’ve Happened Upon a Stack of Old Newspapers…Some Have Historic Headlines! Are They Worth Anything?

Let face it, old newspapers don’t get much respect. In today’s world, they’re generally seen as material for the recycler. And years ago, many libraries simply tossed them out after converting them to micro or digital files. But do old or antique newspapers have any collectible value? The answer is a definite…maybe!

Newspapers have been around almost as long as the Gutenberg Press. And in general they’ve been seen as expendable–meant to be read a time or two and then thrown away, or used for fish wrap or some other convenient purpose. But newspapers also have tremendous historic value… (read more)

(Unfortunately, the Yahoo article has since expired. If anyone has discovered great articles regarding the value of newspapers, please let us know and we’ll consider adding it. In the meantime, feel free to use the www.RareNewspapers.com website for comparables.)

If you liked this post, you may also enjoy...

Comments

748 Responses to “Do Old and Antique Newspapers Have Any Collectible Value?”

1. Down on August 7th, 2018 10:08 am

I have a newspaper from 1920

2. GuyHeilenman on August 7th, 2018 11:40 am

Hello Down – Sorry, but we do not monitor such questions from here. Please send us information regarding what you have to us at info@rarenewspapers.com. Thanks for your understanding.

3. Grace Eckland on November 15th, 2018 4:31 pm

I have newspapers, seems to be a series of front pages from 1861 and 1939 announcing Hitler’s invasion of Warsaw and the start of the war.

How do I find out if they have any value?

4. GuyHeilenman on November 21st, 2018 8:01 am

Send details (exact titles, dates, and a few photos) to me at: guy@rarenewspapers.com

5. William ( Billy) Kalbskopf on November 24th, 2018 5:42 am

I have a July 28, 1969 The New American New Paper Nixon Assures

6. Jessebotello on November 27th, 2018 3:38 am

Hello. I have and large book of a 1930s newspaper clippings. In it. It’s the San Mateo times. I also have an 1871 book too. This one is falling apart but it’s still readable

7. Tiffany on November 28th, 2018 3:10 am

I have a bunch of old newspapers from; Free Press Weekly dated January 2, 1963
    The star weekly dated January 5th, 1963
    The star weekly dated December 29th, 1962
    Star weekly novel dated November 10th, 1962
    Star weekly novel (the blue dress) dated November 3rd, 1962
    Star weekly novel (count those days lost) dated December 8th, 1962

Plus lots of other comics, books, and magazines.

8. Tiffany on November 28th, 2018 3:13 am

I have a bunch of old newspapers from; the star weekly novel, free press weekly, dated 1962, 1963

Plus lots of other comics, books, and magazines.

9. Ashley on December 5th, 2018 11:25 pm

Hello. i have found a newspaper from 1895. Also magazines and newspapers in regards to Queen Elizabeth’s Coronation and WW2. Dating from 1930’s to 50’s, Any value besides being completely historically awesome?

10. Rosina on December 12th, 2018 11:20 pm

I have Lebowa newspaper of 1967 and Lentsu newspaper of 1970 I want to know if they value

11. Rosina on December 12th, 2018 11:20 pm

12. Natalie Brixey on January 4th, 2019 8:32 am

I have a newspaper dated 1912 and has the Titanic as headline is this worth anything?

13. Luis Esqueda on January 16th, 2019 9:59 am

I have news paper from 1927.

14. CHARLES ECKELMANN on January 20th, 2019 6:25 pm

I have a NYC newspaper from the day WW2 ended.front page reads It’s over. Does this paper have a value. Thanks

15. chrissy on January 25th, 2019 11:42 pm

I have a scrap book of clippings from a 1972-73, very cool as I went through it. Was wondering if there is any interest?

16. william rice on February 3rd, 2019 2:27 pm

I have a 1982 N.Y. newspaper featuring guitarist Randy Rhoads death while he was playing with Ozzy Osbourne. Is it worth anything ? Thank you !

17. Sudha on February 4th, 2019 7:54 pm

I have a week’s newspaper from the 1940s.
    How much are they worth ?

18. Jaculine on February 4th, 2019 8:04 pm

Hello,

I have three months of The Niagara Falls newspaper from the 1940s. How much is it worth? It’s the original papers.

19. Ray newns on February 15th, 2019 9:28 am

I have a 4 page daily mail newspaper in good condition dated 26 th of April 1925 showing a photo of the duchess of York celebrating the birth of queen Elizabeth

20. Jose Pinfold on February 24th, 2019 7:55 am

Hi i have a Nottingham Journal dates April 8th 1797. My father acquired this when he was a landlord in a pub in Nottingham when he exchanged it for a pint by a tramp that had found it in the Nottingham caves.

Can you help in me finding a way to put a value on the journal.

Kind regards
    Jose Pinfold

21. Delores Cole on February 24th, 2019 11:53 am

Hello
    I have four books, special edition
    Antique collectibles weekly newspapers collections
    I a huge binder special large edition cover

Dates of the weekly newspapers collections . Books cover says
    Antique Collectibles newspapers weekly 1969- 1971

1969- 1971

Im willing to sale. Found at a yard sale

Please contact me a location for Appraisal.
    E-mail flowerchild19814@aol.com

Live in California. West LA area.

22. Billy on April 2nd, 2019 1:42 pm

After purchasing an antique desk I found a framed re print of Teddy Roosevelt, his second attempt at his offical presidential photo. I at first thought it was just a print but I now believe it was actually printed in a news paper. Where could I find more information on it?

23. kathy baldock on April 4th, 2019 2:57 am

hi, I am looking to understand if the newspapers I have are worth any value, where do I send the information to please?

24. robin lear on April 11th, 2019 8:50 am

how much is and original newspaper from nov 11 1918 worth

25. Tarsha Webb on April 22nd, 2019 9:03 pm

I have newspapers from 1865 to 1871. S about Abraham Lincoln getting killed by Booth. I also have Booth death as well. It’s in very good condition I have others as well I will like to know are they’re worth anything

26. GuyHeilenman on April 25th, 2019 9:51 am

27. GuyHeilenman on April 25th, 2019 9:53 am

28. GuyHeilenman on April 25th, 2019 9:54 am

29. GuyHeilenman on April 25th, 2019 9:55 am

Hello Billy – If it is a reprint, it does not have collectible value. Unfortunately I do not know what else to say about it other than such reprints were rather common.

30. GuyHeilenman on April 25th, 2019 9:56 am

31. GuyHeilenman on April 25th, 2019 9:56 am

32. GuyHeilenman on April 25th, 2019 9:58 am

33. GuyHeilenman on April 25th, 2019 9:58 am

34. GuyHeilenman on April 25th, 2019 9:58 am

35. GuyHeilenman on April 25th, 2019 9:58 am

36. GuyHeilenman on April 25th, 2019 9:59 am

Unfortunately clippings do not have value to historic newspaper collectors. Sorry.

37. GuyHeilenman on April 25th, 2019 9:59 am

38. GuyHeilenman on April 25th, 2019 10:00 am

39. GuyHeilenman on April 25th, 2019 10:01 am

40. GuyHeilenman on April 25th, 2019 10:03 am

41. GuyHeilenman on April 25th, 2019 10:03 am

42. GuyHeilenman on April 25th, 2019 10:03 am

43. GuyHeilenman on April 25th, 2019 10:03 am

44. GuyHeilenman on April 25th, 2019 10:03 am

45. GuyHeilenman on April 25th, 2019 10:05 am

If these are clippings, and not full newspapers, unfortunately they do not have value to those who collect original newspapers. Sorry.

46. GuyHeilenman on April 25th, 2019 10:05 am

47. Nicole on May 22nd, 2019 10:17 pm

Hello, I have 10-15 newspapers from 1931-1932 with a picture, article and baseball statistics about Babe Ruth & Lou Gergigh. Wanting to know if there is a market for then, seeing how it’s Babe Ruth and Gerigigh. Thank you.

48. GuyHeilenman on May 24th, 2019 10:43 am

Hello Nicole – If you can send a list of titles and dates to me at guy@rarenewspapers.com I’ll be glad to let you know what I think.

Feel free to leave a comment...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!