Do Old and Antique Newspapers Have Any Collectible Value?

October 25, 2013 by
Email This Post Email This Post | Print This Post Print This Post

It is not often I travel to Yahoo for answers to some of the more meaningful questions of life: Where did we come from? What is the purpose of Life? Do old newspapers have value? However, I recently came upon a post on Yahoo Voices which did a decent job of handling this last question.  It begins:

You’ve Happened Upon a Stack of Old Newspapers…Some Have Historic Headlines! Are They Worth Anything?

Let face it, old newspapers don’t get much respect. In today’s world, they’re generally seen as material for the recycler. And years ago, many libraries simply tossed them out after converting them to micro or digital files. But do old or antique newspapers have any collectible value? The answer is a definite…maybe!

Newspapers have been around almost as long as the Gutenberg Press. And in general they’ve been seen as expendable–meant to be read a time or two and then thrown away, or used for fish wrap or some other convenient purpose. But newspapers also have tremendous historic value… (read more)

(Unfortunately, the Yahoo article has since expired. If anyone has discovered great articles regarding the value of newspapers, please let us know and we’ll consider adding it. In the meantime, feel free to use the www.RareNewspapers.com website for comparables.)

If you liked this post, you may also enjoy...

Comments

794 Responses to “Do Old and Antique Newspapers Have Any Collectible Value?”

1. GuyHeilenman on August 9th, 2019 11:40 am

This is great. Although we do not have a use for them, if you are looking to sell them (perhaps on eBay), hopefully you will do well with them.

2. GuyHeilenman on August 9th, 2019 11:40 am

We are not familiar enough with copyright law to be able to give advice on this. Sorry.

3. Ervis C Hiatt on September 14th, 2019 10:10 am

My wife’s uncle was a Pearl Harbor survivor. He bought the copy of the Honolulu Star Bulletin (1st extra) after his ship pulled beck into port after the bombing was over. He deceased and all his effects were turned over to my mother-in-law who deceased and all her personal effects wound up in my attic. My wife decease and I remarried and now we are in the process of ‘cleaning house’ I ran across this newspaper while going through a pile of things. I am wondering if it has any value to perhaps a collector?

4. sarah nixon on September 23rd, 2019 11:02 am

I have a large hardback book containing illustrated newspaper from 1863 in great condition for its age. I would like to know if it is worth anything and where i could take it to valued?

5. GuyHeilenman on September 26th, 2019 8:39 am

Hello Sarah – Please send this on to Tim Hughes at timothy@rarenewspapers.com.

6. GuyHeilenman on September 26th, 2019 8:41 am

Go to the link below. Does yours look like the top image, or the bottom image?

7. Kathleen maida on October 12th, 2019 1:04 pm

I have newspaper man lands on moon newsday is it worth anything

8. GuyHeilenman on November 7th, 2019 8:06 am

Sorry, but we do not monitor such questions from here. Please send us information regarding what you have to us at info@rarenewspapers.com. Thanks for your understanding.

9. Charise Lawson on November 22nd, 2019 12:13 pm

We have 4 pages of 6of an 1828 The Scotsman newspaper detailing the trial of very famous murders Burke Hall and Mcdougall would this be worth anything?

10. Vito on December 1st, 2019 12:44 pm

I recently found a box filled with Detroit Free Press morning and Evening editions from 1860. And Detroit Daily Tribune of the same year. The box is about 50lbs. They are all stacked neatly. What can I do with these?

11. Cynthia L stout on December 3rd, 2019 5:55 pm

i have a los angles daily times dec 4 1881 does it have any value

12. rhys morgan on December 21st, 2019 4:13 am

I have an original 24 may 1910 newspaper with the death of the king on the front is it worth anything?

13. GuyHeilenman on December 23rd, 2019 11:29 am

Please send detailed information to me at guy@rarenewspapers.com. Thanks.

14. GuyHeilenman on December 23rd, 2019 11:30 am

Please send detailed information to me at guy@rarenewspapers.com. Thanks.

15. GuyHeilenman on December 23rd, 2019 11:30 am

Please send detailed information to me at guy@rarenewspapers.com. Thanks.

16. GuyHeilenman on December 23rd, 2019 11:31 am

Please send detailed information to me at guy@rarenewspapers.com. Thanks.

17. Allan winterbottom on December 29th, 2019 6:08 pm

I have 1947 the conveyer paper with Don Bradman on the cover. Two Australia weekly newspapers on poultry husbandry 1945&1951 also dailyman’s problems ( The Leader) Australia farm& stock weekly

18. Ken Kulpa on January 6th, 2020 1:39 pm

I have various Christian Herald newspapers from 1893,1895,1899,1900,1901,1902,1906,1907,1908, 1909, 1911,1912,1913,1914,1916 and 1917…likely to be worth anything or better to just recycle?

19. Renee on January 6th, 2020 7:29 pm

I have a newspaper clipping announcing the marriage of Rudy Valentino and Winifred Hudnut in Indiana. Would this be worth anything, or can it be thrown away?

20. Christine on February 5th, 2020 11:57 am

I have that too is it of any value?

21. Skitz on February 13th, 2020 2:53 pm

I have an 1881 Oregonian paper

22. Maria on March 15th, 2020 8:54 am

I have stacks of newspapers 1831

23. Bee on April 6th, 2020 6:00 am

I havea full newspaperof the Lindbergh kidnapper haupman trial with interviews with his wife and mother and Lindberg not beingableto attend because he was attending will Rogers funeral. Is there any value?

24. Shawn Bahn on April 16th, 2020 3:10 pm

Lindberghs baby’s kidnapping 6 newspapers are they worth anything? ??

25. Armando colon on May 12th, 2020 11:04 am

Is a mewspaper artical of the singer selena worth anything

26. Steve Brawley on May 13th, 2020 3:31 pm

I have some old newspapers from the evening mail Stockton California from 1899 to 1906 some of the headlines are from the earthquake in San Francisco and more great headlines just checking to see if they have any value what what did I do I didn’t touch your car

27. Sandra Levitt on May 20th, 2020 12:31 pm

i have very old newspapers and would like to sell them

28. Joe Goldberg on June 2nd, 2020 2:17 pm

I recently can across a container of The Boston Heralds, it was every paper in order and complete from the day the troops were called up till they came home of the first gulf war (Iraqi Freedom). Worth anything?

29. Paul Wynn on June 29th, 2020 6:59 pm

I have both the Cincinnati enquirer and the post from the day following Pete Rose’s 4192 hit are they valuable?

30. Ravina on June 29th, 2020 8:05 pm

I also have a stack of newspapers from 1928 in a hard cover book. I believe they are a full months worth. Any idea if this would be worth something or who I should contact regarding them?

31. GuyHeilenman on July 22nd, 2020 8:58 am

Hello Ravina – Please forgive the delay in my response, but we do not monitor such questions from here. If you are still looking for an answer, feel free to send us information regarding what you have to info@rarenewspapers.com. Thanks for your understanding.

32. GuyHeilenman on July 22nd, 2020 9:01 am

Hello Paul – Please forgive the delay in my response, but we do not monitor such questions from here. If you are still looking for an answer, feel free to send us information regarding what you have to info@rarenewspapers.com. Thanks for your understanding.

33. GuyHeilenman on July 22nd, 2020 9:03 am

Hello Joe – Please forgive the delay in my response, but we do not monitor such questions from here. If you are still looking for an answer, feel free to send us information regarding what you have to info@rarenewspapers.com. Thanks for your understanding.

34. GuyHeilenman on July 22nd, 2020 9:17 am

Hello Sandra – Please forgive the delay in my response, but we do not monitor such questions from here. If you are still looking for an answer, feel free to send us information regarding what you have to info@rarenewspapers.com. Thanks for your understanding.

35. GuyHeilenman on July 22nd, 2020 9:22 am

Hello Steve – Please forgive the delay in my response, but we do not monitor such questions from here. If you are still looking for an answer, feel free to send us information regarding what you have to info@rarenewspapers.com. Thanks for your understanding.

36. GuyHeilenman on July 22nd, 2020 9:23 am

Hello Armando – Please forgive the delay in my response, but we do not monitor such questions from here. If you are still looking for an answer, feel free to send us information regarding what you have to info@rarenewspapers.com. Thanks for your understanding.

37. GuyHeilenman on July 22nd, 2020 9:24 am

Hello Shawn – Please forgive the delay in my response, but we do not monitor such questions from here. If you are still looking for an answer, feel free to send us information regarding what you have to info@rarenewspapers.com. Thanks for your understanding.

38. GuyHeilenman on July 22nd, 2020 9:24 am

Hello Bee – Please forgive the delay in my response, but we do not monitor such questions from here. If you are still looking for an answer, feel free to send us information regarding what you have to info@rarenewspapers.com. Thanks for your understanding.

39. GuyHeilenman on July 22nd, 2020 9:28 am

Hello Christine – Please forgive the delay in my response, but we do not monitor such questions from here. If you are still looking for an answer, feel free to send us information regarding what you have to info@rarenewspapers.com. Thanks for your understanding.

40. GuyHeilenman on July 22nd, 2020 9:29 am

Hello Renee, Please forgive the delay in my response, but we do not monitor such questions from here. If you are still looking for an answer, feel free to send us information regarding what you have to info@rarenewspapers.com. Thanks for your understanding.

41. GuyHeilenman on July 22nd, 2020 9:30 am

Hello Ken – Please forgive the delay in my response, but we do not monitor such questions from here. If you are still looking for an answer, feel free to send us information regarding what you have to info@rarenewspapers.com. Thanks for your understanding.

42. GuyHeilenman on July 22nd, 2020 9:39 am

Hello Maria – Please forgive the delay in my response, but we do not monitor such questions from here. If you are still looking for an answer, feel free to send us information regarding what you have to info@rarenewspapers.com. Thanks for your understanding.

43. GuyHeilenman on July 22nd, 2020 9:40 am

Hello Skitz – Please forgive the delay in my response, but we do not monitor such questions from here. If you are still looking for an answer, feel free to send us information regarding what you have to info@rarenewspapers.com. Thanks for your understanding.

44. GuyHeilenman on July 22nd, 2020 9:42 am

Hello Allan – Please forgive the delay in my response, but we do not monitor such questions from here. If you are still looking for an answer, feel free to send us information regarding what you have to info@rarenewspapers.com. Thanks for your understanding.

Feel free to leave a comment...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!