Do Old and Antique Newspapers Have Any Collectible Value?

October 25, 2013 by
Email This Post Email This Post | Print This Post Print This Post

It is not often I travel to Yahoo for answers to some of the more meaningful questions of life: Where did we come from? What is the purpose of Life? Do old newspapers have value? However, I recently came upon a post on Yahoo Voices which did a decent job of handling this last question.  It begins:

You’ve Happened Upon a Stack of Old Newspapers…Some Have Historic Headlines! Are They Worth Anything?

Let face it, old newspapers don’t get much respect. In today’s world, they’re generally seen as material for the recycler. And years ago, many libraries simply tossed them out after converting them to micro or digital files. But do old or antique newspapers have any collectible value? The answer is a definite…maybe!

Newspapers have been around almost as long as the Gutenberg Press. And in general they’ve been seen as expendable–meant to be read a time or two and then thrown away, or used for fish wrap or some other convenient purpose. But newspapers also have tremendous historic value… (read more)

(Unfortunately, the Yahoo article has since expired. If anyone has discovered great articles regarding the value of newspapers, please let us know and we’ll consider adding it. In the meantime, feel free to use the www.RareNewspapers.com website for comparables.)

If you liked this post, you may also enjoy...

Comments

638 Responses to “Do Old and Antique Newspapers Have Any Collectible Value?”

1. Casda on February 29th, 2016 9:53 pm

Hi there Guy. I have a Vancouver Daily Province 1941. Headline is ‘Soviet Bayonets Hurl Back Hun’. In good shape. Any value at all?

2. GuyHeilenman on March 2nd, 2016 11:13 am

Hello James – Typically not. Even most U.S. issues go for just a few dollars on eBay. Sorry.

3. GuyHeilenman on March 2nd, 2016 11:15 am

Hello again James – Typically not. Even most U.S. issues go for just a few dollars on eBay. Sorry.

4. GuyHeilenman on March 2nd, 2016 11:15 am

You are very welcome Louie.

5. GuyHeilenman on March 2nd, 2016 11:17 am

Hello Greta – If you send the exact date and a photo or two, I’ll try to help. Based on what you’ve said – perhaps. Send the info to guy@rarenewspapers.com.

6. GuyHeilenman on March 2nd, 2016 1:07 pm

Hello Damian – We typically sell them in the mid-$20 range if they are in good condition.

7. GuyHeilenman on March 2nd, 2016 1:08 pm

Hello Alex – We have too many of these already – but thanks. Just as an FYI: Concerning the moon landing issues, only the actual landing and “first steps” issue are typically collected. Good luck.

8. GuyHeilenman on March 2nd, 2016 1:09 pm

Hello Larry – Thanks for the note. Our 40 year history has not turned up anyone collecting these. Sorry.

9. GuyHeilenman on March 2nd, 2016 1:12 pm

Hello Meghan – It is impossible to tell for sure without having them in hand, but our data base does not show these dates as collectible. If you look through them and don’t find key content (the kind of things you’d remember from school), probably not.

10. GuyHeilenman on March 2nd, 2016 1:13 pm

Without having it in hand it is impossible to know for sure, but if really good, anywhere from $10-$60. Too many people collected these… and too many are still around at this point.

11. GuyHeilenman on March 2nd, 2016 1:15 pm

Hello Richie – This sounds like a birthday paper (“Day you were born”). They make great and unusual gifts for the original recipient, but they do not have collectible value. Sorry.

12. GuyHeilenman on March 2nd, 2016 1:21 pm

Hello Ashley – We offer the “Hoover Wins” for $40-$60, if a big city and very displayable. Small-town issues would be a bit less. I do not know anything about the others. Nothing turns up to flag them as collectible in our data base.

13. GuyHeilenman on March 2nd, 2016 1:22 pm

Hello Casda – We are unable to comment with knowledge regarding Canadian papers from the 20th century. If American, it would not have collectible value based on content.

14. GuyHeilenman on March 2nd, 2016 1:22 pm

Hello again Casda – We are unable to comment with knowledge regarding Canadian papers from the 20th century. If American, it would not have collectible value based on content.

15. catina crumly on March 4th, 2016 9:05 pm

I have a couple newspapers I was just curious of if any value to them. Maybe you could help?? First off they are all The Birmingham News. I have one that is The Special Supplement dated Dec 12, 1966( Remember Pearl Harbor. The young lions – 25 years after) I have one This Week Magizine keepsake issue dated july 4 1965. Americas Days of Victory. (the Birmingham news) I have one ( The Birmingham news dated nov 23 1963) headlines reads ” Johnsonn proclaims day of mourning on Monday for martyred President) “Police arrest second man in assassination” ) ( Presdent kennedy) (Picres of Ms. Kennedy o front page) I have one (The Birmingham News dated October 5 1957) headline article is Russ set satellite path to bar U.S. observation expert says “Red moon not visible in U.S”.I have one Birmingham news, ( that the front page is a reprint of The New York Herald) (headline article is “Lincolns most embrassing incident was ear sword duel with a rival politica in 1842

16. katoe bonner on March 7th, 2016 1:27 pm

Hello! I have a newspaper from the day that Saddam Hussein was killed. Might that be worth money? It is from Bucks County Courier Times, a Philadelphia suburban newspaper. Thanks!

17. gillian brierley on March 7th, 2016 11:01 pm

Hello i have the front and back copy of the ENGLIFH CRONICLE evening post dated march 21st 1799, there is a piece that tells of prince edwards carrige being stopped by highway men and a duel held in hyde park,would anyone be interested in this paper
    many thanks
    Gill

18. GuyHeilenman on March 8th, 2016 2:18 pm

Hello Catina – It is impossible to say for certain without having them in hand, but based upon what you have told me, they do not have value worth you putting energy into trying to sell them. Only 1st reports of key events typically have value, and the dates you mention are too recent. Also, anniversary (or reflective) issues are not sought by collectors. Sorry.

19. GuyHeilenman on March 8th, 2016 2:24 pm

Hello Katoe – Too many people saved them to make them an easy sell. We currently have one priced at $46 which we’ve had available for over 10 years.

20. GuyHeilenman on March 8th, 2016 2:25 pm

Hello gill – A copy, or the original?

21. Peggy Stone on March 12th, 2016 9:30 am

I have several copies of the following newspapers – The Mast, The Yank and Fore &
    Aft which my husband had kept from his dad. I’ve often wondered if they would have any value? I did at one time take pictures and have a list. Can you tell me if I should pursue?

22. Russell on March 12th, 2016 11:42 am

I have a news paper that has J. F. Kennedy meeting with the governor of NC dated Nov. 30 1960 would it be worth anything?

23. Nick on March 12th, 2016 2:51 pm

I have a few newspapers, one when the titanic sank(not in the best shape), another one when the bomb was dropped in Hiroshima and japan surrenders, would they be worth anything?

24. jessica on March 13th, 2016 7:01 am

hello guy I have the 1980 Reagan wins in landslide; Carter weeps at loss N.Y.daily news…worth anything?

25. sandra stroman on March 13th, 2016 7:25 am

Know of someone that has a 1799 news paper of ulster county gazette that was published at Kingston about George Washington’s funeral. Want appraised can anyone help.

26. GuyHeilenman on March 14th, 2016 1:09 pm

Hello Peggy, Please e-mail the list (I’ll need exact dates) to guy@rarenewspapers.com.

27. GuyHeilenman on March 14th, 2016 1:09 pm

Hello Russell – We have yet to come across a collector who has asked for one.

28. GuyHeilenman on March 14th, 2016 1:10 pm

Hello Nick – Perhaps. Please send a list of the newspapers (title and date) along with a few pics to me at guy@rarenewspapers.com.

29. GuyHeilenman on March 14th, 2016 1:11 pm

Hello Jessica – Our last complete issue in very good condition with this headline sold for $25. They do not sell very often.

30. GuyHeilenman on March 14th, 2016 1:13 pm

Hello Sandra, These do not have value. You can read more about them here: http://blog.rarenewspapers.com/index.php?s=ulster+county+gazette+

31. jessica on March 14th, 2016 5:04 pm

where can I go to get rid of it in NYC?

32. jessica on March 14th, 2016 5:23 pm

or how do I go about selling it in NYC I should say

33. juan on March 16th, 2016 7:14 pm

I have a 1977 extra the select times . is it worth anything

34. Dave Oberlin on March 16th, 2016 8:53 pm

Hey Guy, I have a 1953 March 6th article depicting the life and times of Joseph Stalin. I know Toledo was a major booming city during the industrial revolution, would this paper have any value?

35. Dave Oberlin on March 16th, 2016 8:54 pm

Hey Guy, I have a 1953 March 6th, Toledo Blade article depicting the life and times of Joseph Stalin. I know Toledo was a major booming city during the industrial revolution, would this paper have any value?

36. David Wilson on March 19th, 2016 4:58 pm

I have a first edition of the daily express dated 24th April 1900 in mint condition. Any value in the paper

37. Pamela hollis on March 20th, 2016 2:44 pm

Value if newspapers all ..American’s Greatest Family news..Dates on 4.. june 25 1950..August 13 1950..Oct 15, 1950…Feb 11 1950…

38. Ross Legare on March 21st, 2016 1:12 pm

I came across a stack of old Boston News papers dating back to 1812, thru 1949. Are they worth anything?

39. Siobhan on March 21st, 2016 3:56 pm

Found news papers from 1940 to 1945 daily mail evening news Sunday express news chronical daily sketch about hilter death v day the kings announcements

40. Siobhan on March 21st, 2016 3:59 pm

Found old news papers dating 1940 to 1945

41. hayley on March 21st, 2016 4:12 pm

Hi I have stumbled across orignal newspapers with first announcements that Hitler is dead dated 2nd of may 1945 ad announcing ve-day Tuesday the 8th may 1945 with prime minister and king giving first speech. Is this something to throw out or valuable? There are many more first announcement papers amongst it all

42. Sarah on March 22nd, 2016 12:33 pm

Hello, I have a Liverpool Echo, Special commemorative edition for Princess Diana dated Sept 6th 1997, is it worth anything? Thank you

43. Diane Chlipala on March 23rd, 2016 2:04 pm

I have newspapers regarding assassination of John Kennedy. Any value?

44. Diane Chlipala on March 23rd, 2016 2:04 pm

I have newspapers regarding assassination of John Kennedy. Any value?

45. Mark Mahoney on March 24th, 2016 2:53 am

hi there. .. I have just come across a part of a news of the world dated from July 12 -1918…. there’s no major headlines .. it just seems to be an advertisement page…. would that be any good to anyone collecting such things? ?? I can send pics ifinterested. .. thanks. ..

46. Brian on March 24th, 2016 5:07 pm

minneapolis star
    Minneapolis tribune

Headlines from BOTH papers…
    FDR dead, Truman to be sworn in
    Germany surrenders..
    VE Day
    Japan surrenders…
    VJ Day
    Aug 11, 45. MacAurthur to rule over japs

Also 1 interesting one of the star newsroom, being told by tribune general manager of the merger between two newspapers…this one I assume would go to star tribune yuppie yup

47. Pam Johnson on March 25th, 2016 8:00 am

I have a Los Angeles times newspaper from August 15, 1945, with the large headline of peace in capital letters, regarding Japanese agreeing to the terms of peace. It is in some type of plastic sleeves. I would presume that this is like any other own newspaper, and not worth too much, except for his stork purposes and fun reading. Is that the case?

48. Ticc on March 25th, 2016 7:32 pm

I have some old newspapers originals like a san francisco chronicle oct 14 1930. May 24th 1929 president Hoover throws out 1st ball at game. July 20th 1932 with Hitler photo. And more but are they worth anything

49. Monica on March 26th, 2016 11:43 pm

I recently found a very old scrap book the someone had made the earliest date I was able to find is Nov. 1918. Maybe a couple even earlier then that. Most of the clippings are alot of major headlines and then alot from 1941. List of all the men & women that dies in the war, planes, ships, tanks etc. being built and the ones that were bombed. There are so many different clips its overwhelming. If you could just let me know what I should do with all of them would be great. I feel like it could be in a museum possibly. thanks for any info.

50. Joseph White on March 27th, 2016 9:26 am

I have copies of the Saturday Evening Posts, in good condition, 1955 thru 1958. Would they have any value worth pursuing? Thank you.

Feel free to leave a comment...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!